Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pain in the Neck

i do not have too much to report. the last few days my neck is getting more stiff. i attribute that to attempting to move it more. there is some swelling at the base of my neck. i have been icing, but i need to do it with more frequency. the incision has also been a bit tender of late. i also attribute that to the muscles under the scar. that is a very uneducated guess.

my intestines have not been cooperating as much as i would like. i will be going in for some additional blood tests ordered by my neurologist and gastroenterologist. i hope the tests will shed some light on my numbness and my Crohns.

i have begun to receive some summery of services/benefits from my stint in the hospital and various doctor's appointments. health care is exceptionally expensive. i am so lucky to have health care. i cannot even imagine having the procedures i did and not having insurance to cushion the blow. i truly hope that the politicians will universalize health care. any major illness and it will ruin a persons life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Patrick,

You are so right about health insurance. We almost got ruined last year. Really sorry to hear about your continuing health problems. May they all vanish overnight like bad dreams.

My dad's finally stable from his heart surgery and so I'm back in the heat of the desert again (98 today), but it's not bad.

blessings, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Trouper,

My thoughts continue to be w/ you! I hope you're back playing ball and whatever else makes you happy asap. The St. Kate's Cinco de Mayo celebration is on Thursday (11:30-2). You're more than welcome! :)

Sincerely,

MB!

Anonymous said...

Trouper, my thoughts are still with you and I'm wishing you the best.

Your positive attitude is an inspiration.

Wally

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick,

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well. I didn't know that you had surgery until last Monday when I stopped by hoping to see you and Cathy. Cathy filled me in. After the initial shock, Meg and I was wondering how you're holding up. Thankfully you're doing well. Our thoughts are with you, always. We will start reading the blog from the earliest date to catch up. We will continue to check regularly to keep updated. Thanks for posting the Blog :-).

Until we see you again. Take it easy, laugh lots, eat lots, and get well soon.

Best,
Meg and Dung

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick.
Like Dung, I am so happy to hear your surgery has gone well, and that you are recovering quickly. We were worried something wasn't right when you weren't at the MCAE graduation ceremony. I'm glad you did indeed get the best neurosurgeon in Minnesota! Dr. Kennedy operated on my mom back in 2001 when she had her aneurysm, and did wonderfully. I hope you're able to enjoy this nice sunshine and feelin' like a new man (love the 'do).
Wishing you the best,
Meghan & Dung Mao

Sarah said...

isn't it rediculous!? my mom has been w/out her meds for 2wks now b/c noone will renew her due to her chronic disease. I am praying for the same from the next pres.
Sorry bout your discomforts, hopefully it won't be too much longer for this all to go away!!! Keep icing-RICE: Rest, Ice, Compresssion and Elevation (although the neck is already elevated so that eliminates a whole step!!) Sending positive energy to you always!!!!