Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Headache Strikes Back

my day was marred with a brutal headache. i have to say that i was expecting to have much more pain then i have had. i cannot complain. i am not sure if i attribute my headache to my attempt to read articles longer then a page or that it was just time for me to experience pain. it made me rest virtually all day. it prevented me from sleeping particularly well.

i do feel good this morning. it looks absolutely gorgeous outside. i hope to venture a few steps outside today. we shall see how that goes. i have this nice new hat/cover up that i wish to sport to protect my wound and to hide my nappy hair. i will take a picture of that as well. it has some cute butterflies on the back as well. it also conceals my hematoma from the frame that was screwed into my head. the swelling has gone down considerably. i have some bruising above my left eye and on the side of my head , arms and on my shoulders. other then that, i am fairly bruise free. i have yet to actually see my incision. it is still covered by steri strips. i do know it is not weeping as much as it did. the swelling is going down as well.

i am still experiencing tingling, but it is not as constant as it was the other day. i believe that to be a good sign. tomorrow i go in to the St. Paul Heart Clinic to get set up with the Holter heart monitor. i will have to wear that for a few days to get some readings. it looks like i will be able to enjoy the sun and warmth that we are supposed to experience tomorrow. who knows how long that will last since it looks like we might get some more snow and rain this weekend. what is up with this place?

i am sitting here writing and eating some fruit and i am disappointed with my inability to open my mouth as wide as i am accustomed. i am sure my mother likes that i am no longer able to open up and shove huge portions of food into my mouth. i am a bit a disappointed in having to show eating restraint. it is my hope that my tongue, jaw and mouth will return to normal. if not, i will be a much more refined eater with no taste buds.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for your recovery, stay strong. The impact of the long surgery, anesthesia and trauma can last for weeks. I felt a numbness, lack of taste in food tightness in my jaw as well as an overall slowness for around 4 weeks post surgery. I recall awful headaches, emegency room visits & many other events like that within the month after surgery. The whole brain and spine are complex creatures. Please let yourself understand what your body is going through...& do your best to be patient.:)! Do your best not to worry too much...although I know from experience that that is easier said than done! My prayers are with you! Keep your head up (no joke) & continue rockin'! All my love to you and your family, Hilary

Anonymous said...

Troup -

Just letting you know I am hooked on reading your Blog. It's the first thing I do every morning. Take care. It is great to see so much support. We are all here for you. - Mike Korsh

Anonymous said...

Hola Trouper,
It seems things are going well, but for the mention(s) of tingling. We all support you and are thinking about you.
Cheers
JJ

BTW - the shower cap is a good look...

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the blog. Of course, everyone in your 'soccer family' is pulling for your speedy recovery.
Torben

Anonymous said...

Hey there...I was just telling Kathy J. that through it all you're a keeper.

Be patient and be well!

Anise

B.C. Henley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B.C. Henley said...

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, trying to figure out how to use this comment poster thing. I spoke with Mrs. Simms and she told me about your surgery. I wish you the best of recoveries!

Brandon