Friday, March 28, 2008

Post-Surgery Bliss...

The last few days have been very difficult. I was swollen beyond recognition from surgery and have had catheters and other extruding plastics, which made me feel like I was in a scene from the Matrix.

Results: Dr Kennedy resected 80% of the tumor because he determined he wasn't getting any closer until he got the pathology back and he believed the tumor to be sub ependymoma (non-cancerous---best possible tumor a person can have). Fortunately I had the best surgeon in MN, the results came back today and I have a sub ependymoma (non-cancerous). There is no need for me to have radiation at this point. I will however have consistent monitoring for the rest of my life---MRIs. This is the best case scenario and very encouraging. Now all I have to do is rest and heal for the next few months.

Below is snapshot of the last few days:

Tuesday:
  • 10 hour surgery, laying flat on my stomach
  • 6 inch scar on the back of my head/neck. I believe they glued my skull back together
Wednesday:
  • First memory: woke up at 3am to Edwin (RN) giving me a sponge bath
Thursday:
  • I was moved from ICU to my own room on the neuro floor
  • Catheter Free
  • IV free
  • Growing a mean beard
  • Wearing leg stockings to simulate leg motion since I have been inactive for 3 days.
  • Experienced many firsts:
    • First solid food meal consisting of breakfast (scrambled eggs and muffin) lunch (turkey sandwich, gravy, and zucchini) dinner (beef stroganoff, carrots, bread, and chocolate chip cookies). Never until today did I know how much I like solid food!
    • Took my first bowel movement
    • Stood up, walked, and sat in a chair
    • Brushed my teeth
    • First Shirley Temple
Friday:
  • Will begin Physical Therapy and OT

Thank you to those of you who have sent flowers---they have certainly brightened my room. Not taking a shower for 3 days takes it toll and the flowers have aided in keeping my room smelling fragrant.

I will be recuperating for the next month or so and I look forward to responding to emails, returning phone calls, and updating my blog once I feel up to it...my dexterity is not quite up to speed yet.

I will post pictures in the near future. I would have had some great photos, but my brother Van prevented them from being taken :-)

Thank you again to everyone for your kind, thoughtful words, and continued support. I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC NEWS! I am so pleased that your healing is going so smoothly, and that the tumor is benign...no radiation!

The vibes continue my friend.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news. What a relief. Way to be strong, Pat.

Ryan Martin

PS. Go Badgers!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the prompt post I have been not so patiently anticipating! I am so relieved it's not cancer, I was having bad flashbacks of when my friend was in treatment for several days on end at the hospital and I would have to rub his stinky feet! I woulda done it for you too for what it's worth just glad it won't be a upcomming issue ;)
I know it will be a timely recovery, please stay strong and get lots of rest! Wishing you many blessings...

Anonymous said...

Great! Now I can go back to giving you grief like always. Remember, after my motorcycle accident.
Hayes (aka one wing)

Anonymous said...

Great news, I'm so glad things went well, here's to hoping for a speedy recovery, we miss you here in the office!

Naomi F.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad about the good news! Sounds like you were a real "trouper" laying on your stomach for 10 hours. Wishing you the best as you recover.

Anonymous said...

I made that comment about you being a "trouper" but forgot to sign my name.

Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your surgery went smoothly. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so happy to hear the non-cancer news as well! Good luck with the recovery process -

Take Care -
Betsy (they girl who orders cocks at pizza restaurants...Paula's sister)

Twinnie said...

Western Canadians can now get some sleep. What a relief to receive the good news yesterday and then to wake up this morning to your blog.
Keep up the good work!

Wade's Canadian Aunt
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear the great news. Wow...10 hour surgery! Keep up the positive thoughts and keep trucking through! You are in my thoughts and prayers. From a friend who knows exactly what you are going through. Stay strong!!!!